Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!

This is a picture of my mom holding me on her very first Mother's Day in 1964. I love these women--my mom, my grandma, and my great grandma. Their motherhood lives on as I sing the same Scottish lullaby to my own children that my great grandma sang to her children. Knowing and learning about their lives explains my own.

Mom and I
(I must say that I adore my mom's outfits and shoes.)

Mom, Dad, and I

My mom made our matching dresses.
(I never knew that my dad wore white socks and penny loafers!)

My maternal grandparents and I

My paternal grandparents and I

I am so grateful for my mother and the generations of mothers that preceded her. Happy Mother's Day, Mom. I love you!

3 comments:

Jennilyn said...

Scottish lullaby--which one? Thanks for sharing the photos--I shamelessly copied some to my files. Great post. Happy Mom Day to you!

Laura said...

How cute are your parents? And you were adorable baby! Happy Mother's Day!

Julie said...

Abby insists I always sing the "Cockadoodle doo" song to her at bedtime. Perhaps it is not an official lullaby, but I remember Grandma C. encouraging me to sing it to my babies when they were fussy because it often worked for her. Perhaps it is not an official Scottish lullaby, but my mom remembers Great Grandma D. singing it to her in her Scottish accent. Do you know which song I am talking about? I am curious if you (Jennilyn) know and use the same words that we use.