Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A House Divided


BYU (Brigham Young University) and the UofU (University of Utah) are deep-rooted western rivals. When Kellie was recruited to the University of Utah's Women's Soccer team, we were thrilled, but the realization that we would soon be wearing RED was a minor jolt. Brian is a BYU professor, both he and I graduated from BYU, Kellie's sister, Rachel, is a student there, and the tradition of BYU scholarship and "fan"ship on both sides of the family is generations old.

However, we soon embraced all things Utah SOCCER related. Brian giddily puts UofU soccer posters up outside his office door and the reactions this invokes from BYU students are priceless.

Saturday, April 10, at 10:00 am Utah plays BYU in Provo for a Spring "friendly". Very exciting--especially since Kellie was sidelined when they played BYU last Fall due to a broken foot!

It is always a bit unsettling for me to sit in the stands at South Field during this rivalry game. I bleed deep crimson as I cheer for Ute #7 and all her teammates. Surrounded in the stands by the very blue that makes up the majority of my own essence, I am pained when the energy emitted turns negative and attacks in the spirit of competition and rivalry. My house, my soul, my very psyche grapples for calm. Can't we just all get along? :)

Nevertheless, it will always be GO KELLIE! and GO UTAH SOCCER! See you Saturday at the game. (It's free.) And, wear RED!

7 comments:

http://www.shabbyblogs.com/extra.html said...

Oh Julie I love that picture... and yes it is always going to be go Kellie, and Go Utah Soccer... Where did you find that hat? I have to get one for my dad.. Good luck Saturday, and I hope to see you guys soon.

Julie said...

Believe it or not, the BYU Bookstore.

Fine Art by Jennifer said...

What fun!

Natalie said...

I say, "GO, who ever's paying for your schooling" :) I am totally willing to support ANY school willing to pay my boys tuition. Good luck Kellie.

Jennilyn said...

There are a few times when I have been sitting in the wrong cheering section--and how obnoxious I feel yellling my head off for the other side! Pure sympathy from me for your situation! We would be cheering for Kellie, too!

Suzanne said...

Hi Julie
You commented on my blog today and asked where I got the coverlet & shams. Check out this blog post to find out more information:

http://justanotherhangup.blogspot.com/2010/02/pillow-ii.html

Your post made me smile. My father graduated from UofU -- my husband and all my kids went to BYU! ;o)

Laura@livingabigstory said...

I *need* to find one of those hats! What dept does your husband teach in - he looks super familiar?