Friday, March 12, 2010

Buttons and Books

One of my responsibilities at church is to hold Activity Day twice a month for the 10 and 11-year old girls in my neighborhood. Recently we made these EASY bookmarks. I found the original idea in Family Fun. Each girl also shared a brief review of one or two of her favorite books.


All that was involved was ribbon, tacky glue, and buttons.

I really liked how they turned out and the girls had a great time creating.

After they left I couldn't resist crafting a few myself.

The six girls that came were eager to share their favorite books. Here is what they recommend:
  • Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
  • The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
  • Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor
  • The Light at Tern Rock by Julia L. Sauer
  • Charlotte's Web by E.B. White
  • The Music of Dolphins by Karen Hesse
  • Goose Girl by Shannon Hale
  • Yellow Star by Jennifer Roy
  • Halloween Pie by Michael O. Tunnell
  • The Giver by Lois Lowry
  • The Pocket Daring Book for Girls: Things to Do by Andrea J. Buchanan
  • Someone Named Eva by Joan M. Wolf
  • The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick
  • Tear Soup by Pat Schweibert
  • To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
  • Savvy by Ingrid Law
Quite an impressive list. These girls are awesome!

5 comments:

Rachel said...

That is awesome! (and way to encourage reading...:)

Jenny said...

Which one one of your activity day girls recommended To Kill A Mockingbird? What a neat activity.

Fine Art by Jennifer said...

That IS a good list. It looks like a great project!

Jennilyn said...

Cute idea. I love buttons. I just remembered I owe you a green fabric sample. What is your snail mail address? landbeck@verizon.net

this blessed nest said...

cute idea!
i *heart buttons & ribbons!

happy belated bday to your daughter "KELLIE"
love that name & how she spells it. ;)

happy weekend!
KELLIE