Monday, February 8, 2010

My Red and Black Room

Since this blog is a photo journal of sorts I decided to include pictures of my red and black room. It has had me pondering and mulling and creating for well over a year. It all started with the black piano I inherited when my mom moved to Utah from Virginia. So many tender images and memories encircle this piano. It was my dad's.

The arrival of the piano gave me an excuse to change things up a bit in this room. At first all I suggested was a different sofa. Well . . . "feature creep" soon took over. (Brian introduced me to that term years ago, and, yes, I am pretty good at making it happen.)

Another explanation for this post is that I LOVE decorating/design books and magazines and, lately, blogs. I appreciate posts of interiors and live for the fresh ideas and photographs. Design is not my forte, hence the need to glean what I can from others. Rather than always "taking" I thought I would do a little sharing. I know I may need to tweak a few things in this room, but I promised Brian it is done for now. For now.




7 comments:

mamagramajane said...

I love the red and black AND WHITE. Very clean and crisp and lively. Your comment about red and black made me nervous for a minute.

Julie said...

Ha ha. You are right. The most important color here is actually the white. Thanks!

Fine Art by Jennifer said...

I remember your dad playing Christmas songs for us on that piano. It's a really pretty room and reminds me of how nice and clean and crisp your mom's house always looked. It seems like a wonderful space, one that you can feel peaceful in. I call my favorite room my sanctuary.

Jennilyn said...

I love the side table by the striped red/white chair! Where did you get it? This room must get fabulous light with all those great windows, too! If I were in town I would volunteer to add more art work...your last name calligraphied or a music quote on the wall...more pattern play with a black and white damask or zebra area rug on top of the wall to wall rug...The color combo is great-love it!

Shannon said...

I love it! Red is one of my favorite colors and red, black, and white looks so crisp and clean.

Decorating is definitely not my thing. A friend walked me through it once in New Hampshire and I really wish she could come visit me here! What blogs/websites do you visit. It certainly couldn't hurt for me to start trying to learn something in that department.

I'm just now getting around to actually hanging curtains and pictures we already have. I can't really give "the need for something new/change" as an excuse until what we have is actually up. The clock it ticking, though!

Julie said...

Jennilyn, I knew you would have some great ideas. Thanks! Shannon, I will send you an email. :)

Laura said...

This looks great. So nice to have such a sentimental piece as the focal point! I drive Keith nuts with all my great ideas. One day I will finish everything. Mostly, I would like a bigger house. I love seeing all the things you have done to the house. It looks beautiful and most importantly, welcoming!