Monday, February 22, 2010

Getting Old


Although I don't really have a problem acknowledging my age, one thing that has made me (us) feel old lately is the need for reading glasses. Brian had resisted going to the optometrist for several years, but finally a few months ago, he could put it off no longer. Reluctantly he went, and came home sheepishly sporting the Cary Grant look.

I have worn contacts for nearsightedness since college. I have glasses, and on rare occasions I will wear them "out and about." Usually, however, they are reserved for the intimacy of my home in the waxing and waning hours of the day. Vanity? Pride? Wary of change? Not sure, but I have loved my contacts.

Sadly, I too have noticed a bit of a strain as I have tried to read the caloric content of a pint of Ben & Jerry's ice cream, for example. (Do you realize one pint contains 4 servings at 360 calories per serving? Yikes! Not good for a gal who can down it in one sitting.) If I have wanted to read for any length of time I have needed to take out my contacts or remove my glasses.

Enter the progressive lens--glasses on a visual continuum allowing one to see distance and up-close. Both Brian and I have recently accepted them into our lives. I am, however, very much attached to my contacts, and am experimenting with mono-vision. As I understand it, this is when my non dominant eye is fitted with a weaker contact lens prescription so it will do the reading and my dominant eye (still in the usual prescription) will do the distance viewing. I am not so sure I like it. Oh, what to do! (Dan, we need you in Provo.)

For now, Brian and I BOTH sport the Cary Grant look and feel a little bit old.


7 comments:

mamagramajane said...

It was hard for me to go from never needing glasses to reading glasses, but harder still to go to glasses all the time. I still don't need glasses for driving or distance, but the reading and computer glasses became so essential that I couldn't risk not having them with me all the time. It is also safer for the glasses to keep them on my face.

Shannon said...

I think you both look great in glasses. I hope the mono vision works out for you so you can keep your contacts. Have you tried it, yet? I think it would give me a headache, but maybe your eyes and brain adjust after a while. Good luck!

Oh, and if it makes you feel better, I look older than you- with or without glasses!

Jenny said...

Love the glasses. I am very aware of the caloric intake of Ben and Jerry's. I think I found one that was 340, but it didn't taste as good...

Jennilyn said...

Ahh, mortal bodies! I think you both look dashing--and it is a COUPLE PHOTO! YEAH! Fun to see you together. Could you do a photo once a week for a month? It is one of my favorite things we have done--sometimes it feels contrived, but the few amazing photos we have to show after 140 days makes it worth it!

Laura said...

I think you both look cute in your glasses. I, too, have unwillingly gone into reading glasses, with my contacts, and then progressives with my regular glasses. My contacts are multi-focal and toric for astigmatism, so if the mono-vision makes you ill, you can try for those. They are pretty good for reading, but not perfect. Old age is not for sissies! But girl, you look good!

Natalie said...

So cool that you have a blog, now I'll be following your every move :)

Marianne said...

What planet have I been living on? I didn't know you had a blog! I saw you linked on Natalie's blog, and hopped on over.

May I just say I'm coveting your new bath and closet. Travis is SO TALL!! And I love the picture of Abby playing soccer--what a great shot!!

I'm with Natalie...consider yourself stalked!!