Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Organ Lessons

January brought me a new responsibility (or "calling" as is said in my church) to be the assistant "ward" or congregational organist. Yes, I play the piano, but having grown up under the musical tutelage of one the of the most amazing organists ever--my dad--I know that you must do all you can to NOT play the organ like a piano. So. . . lessons have begun. Did you know you play the bass part with your feet on the pedals? This is quite the dance and I am feeling very uncoordinated.

Being my father's daughter I am determined to do my best and practice practice practice. I even bought real organ shoes!

Luckily, my debut isn't until the first Sunday in February and then it will be only once a month. Sadly, though, I must play the organ like a piano. The pedals still have the best of me. Maybe by March I can play ONE song like a real organist?


6 comments:

Shannon said...

I'm guessing at your teacher, but if it's who I think it is you should be a pro in no time. Good luck!

Deb in NY said...

Very interesting and it sounds challenging too. I didn't know there is such a thing as organ shoes. I've seen people play shoeless, but I imagine those shoes are much better. I'm sure you will be excellent.

Julie said...

The shoe has a soft sole with pliable leather. There is a specific height to the heel making it easier to move from playing with your toe to your heel and vice versa.

Fine Art by Jennifer said...

How cool! I took organ lessons, but since I didn't read music, I didn't continue very long...I wish I had learned more.

Lisa said...

Sadly, I confess that I will probably always be an offense to true organists, as I will continue to play the organ like a piano! Good luck on Sunday!

Julie said...

Lisa, you are amazing just getting up there and doing it. Making it sound smooth is quite the challenge as you know. You are much better at it than I am. Your skill is valued!